Career market Employed is out with its annual State of Salaries report for the tech commerce, and amongst primary hubs, Seattle confirmed in all probability probably the most modest enhance in pay at merely three p.c. Nevertheless the world’s $142,000 frequent wage continues to be satisfactory for third highest behind solely San Francisco and New York.
Widespread pay throughout the Bay House is $155,000, up 7 p.c from 2019. Austin and Toronto led the tech world with 10 p.c options and the U.S. market frequent is $146,000 per 12 months.
The frequent wage in Seattle might be $188,000 a 12 months if adjusted for San Francisco’s worth of residing, third behind Denver ($202,000) and Austin ($224,000).
The numbers come at an fascinating time for corporations and workers who’ve been coping with the coronavirus pandemic, monetary fallout from the catastrophe and the model new dynamic of distant work.
Employed well-known Tuesday that it’s too early to tell whether or not or not the 2020 tech wage trendline will hold common or eternally be divided into “sooner than” and “after” COVID-19.
The analysis analyzed salaries for software program program engineers, product managers, DevOps engineers, designers, and data scientists. It centered intently on distant work and whether or not or not that risk must affect pay and the way in which loads it would drive workers to ponder shifting to a metropolis with a lower worth of residing.
Listed beneath are some highlights:
- Virtually one third of tech experience might be eager to only settle for a diminished wage if their employer made work from home eternal, Employed talked about. Over half (55 p.c) would not.
- Half of tech experience want to return to their office “a minimal of as quickly as each week” post-COVID, nevertheless solely 7 p.c report desperate to work there on each day foundation.
- Ninety p.c of tech experience contemplate the equivalent job must acquire the equivalent pay, irrespective of distant work, nevertheless, when factoring in worth of residing, 40 p.c say they assist location adjustments.
- Larger than half (53 p.c) of tech workers talked about eternal work from home would make them “in all probability” or “very in all probability” to maneuver to a metropolis with a lower worth of residing.
- Tech experience is minimize up on job security, with 42 p.c concerned, and 58 p.c not concerned, that they’ll be laid off throughout the subsequent 6 months.
- Seattle trailed solely New York on a list of cities that tech workers would ponder shifting to within the occasion that they decided to make a change. San Francisco, Austin and Los Angeles rounded out the very best 5.